Sunday, November 16, 2008

Carpool Censorhip, Or Letting Kids Talk about the Election

Today I read about the ugly aftermath of the recent election that will bring the first African-American president to power in the United States. The Associated Press reports that the number of death threats against President-Elect Obama far exceeds the usual number that follow an election. In Snellville, Georgia, Denene Millner reported that a boy on the school bus told her 9-year-old daughter the day after the election: "I hope Obama gets assassinated." Second- and third-grade students on a school bus in Rexburg, Idaho, chanted "assassinate Obama," a district official said.

I've been thinking about these incidents because I've been increasingly upset about a directive I received from other parents the day after the election. I had driven nearly three hours to pick up my son and other 4th graders from a camp where they had been staying in Coloma, California, the town the originated the 1848 Gold Rush.

"There's to be no election talk. It's absolutely verboten," one mother told me in the bathroom as I prepared to pack up the car for the return three-hour trip. "They're absolutely obsessed with the election," she added, but then informed me that we weren't to tell them who won. "They can't handle it."

"Says who?" I thought to myself, furious that I was receiving this information from another parent rather than from my son's teacher directly. When I signed up to drive for this field trip, I certainly didn't sign away my first amendment rights at the car door, and I felt both foolish and resentful as I rushed to cover the morning papers I had placed on the front passenger seat.

Of course, the kids saw the headline that proclaimed Obama's electoral victory. And why shouldn't they see it? Why should I have to feel guilty that I had the morning's newspaper on the front seat of my car?

No one had informed me in advance that election talk was to be absolutely "verboten" in a private car, or asked me if I agreed to that policy before I agreed to spend six hours in my car, chauffeuring kids on the day after the election.

And of course, the kids were obsessed with the election. So was every American citizen and just about everyone else on the planet. Why shouldn't they be excited about one of the most historic elections the world had ever witnessed? And why should they be denied the right to know the outcome of that election? Or to discuss the election freely with one another?

I disagree absolutely that nine and ten year olds are not prepared to handled the discussion of an American election, especially one that changed history. Properly mediated by a responsible adult, there is no better occasion for children to exchange views, respectfully, civilly, but also openly and truthfully, with one another.

Yes, somebody's feelings may be hurt. But this is not about emotion but about teaching children how to back up emotion with fact and reason. All three recent presidential elections have been hotly contested and left hard feelings for those who lost, whether those feelings were warranted or not. The salient point is that the United States has successfully passed the reigns of power peacefully for over two hundred years, and where there have been questions of electoral misconduct, those questions have been referred to the courts, and the majority of Americans have accepted those court rulings, even if they disagreed with them.

I feel very strongly that we do a disservice to ourselves and to our children if we censor their discussion of a hotly contested election. If there was ever a "teachable" moment in history, this election was one, and not to address it openly and frankly, in my opinion, is an act of cowardice.

Yes, people are angry that Barack Obama won, but those children who chanted, "Assasinate Obama," will not become more reasonable or rational, if they are simply censored rather than engaged. This is the moment to ask those kids, "Why are you saying this? Why do think it's okay to encourage someone's death because you disagree with his policies or don't like the color of his skin?'

Racism will never go away if we simply force people to suppress rather than encourage them to express feelings and then engage them on a rational level.

I remember my own fourth-grade teacher, who is a man I still respect above all others. He spoke to my class after the resignation of Richard Nixon. We were a class of nearly all Republicans with one lone Democrat in our midst. "Don't believe everything your parents tell you," he said to us. "Learn how to think for yourselves."

I know that as a fourth-grader I was ready for this message of encouragement to think for myself. I am furious with myself for letting other parents intimidate me into stopping my own fourth-grader and the others in my care during that long car ride home from finding out just how much history had changed and expressing their views about it.

If you truly believe in free speech, you know that there's no such thing as too much speech. Keep talking and eventually you will find that the answer to hate is simply more speech and more speech and more speech.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful, thoughtful post! I'm Denene Millner, the mom quoted in the Associated Press story about the election aftermath. I couldn't agree with you more! When those horrible things against my family transpired, the protective mom in me wanted so badly to hide what the neighbors had done to my sister-in-law, and dismiss the school bus assassination banter as mere silly kid talk. I didn't think my kids, both under age 10, were ready for the talk. After my husband and I pondered it a bit, though, we realized WE weren't ready for the talk. But we had to GET ready. Because our children had questions, and pushing all of them under the rug and acting as if everything was okay simply COULD'T be an option.

Our kids, like all human beings, have the right to their feelings and their opinions, but it's on us as parents to help them sort it all out. And so we had that ugly talk with them--about racism, and how people express their opinions, and how this historic election brought out some of the worst in the worst of us. They seemed to understand. But the conversation continues. And isn't that a part of GOOD parenting? To keep the conversation going?

Thank you for reminding us all.

I invite you to read the post I wrote about the incident at my sister-in-law's house; it's full of great info on what we talked about to our children.

http://mybrownbaby.blogspot.com/2008/11/neighbors-gone-wild.html

Best,

Denene

Elizabeth Wahl said...

Denene - I read your comment and your blog on what happened to you and your family, and you are one brave woman and very caring mother. It both enrages and saddens me when people vent their anger towards children and towards innocent families.

Our country elected its first African-American president. I understand that not everyone is as jubilant about that fact as I am, but to those who are unhappy about the outcome, I say: "Do what I did in 2000 and 2004. Get out there and vote in every election. But don't take your unhappiness and your racial fears out on your neighbors or your neighbors' children."

To Denene - please keep believing that there are many people of all colors who deplore this kind of behavior. I am thrilled that more whites voted for Obama than for Kerry or Clinton and proud that I was one of them, but I am also ashamed that the acts of a few racist whites can do such harm.

We have much work to do in this country to make it the place Martin Luther King Jr. dreamed of, but I am so glad that there are people like you, refusing to let anyone trample that dream.

T.Allen said...

Great post, I resonate with your ambivalence to invoke your right to free speech and genuinely appreciate your honesty. There have been so many of those moments where I've done the feel right (easier) thing rather than the right thing and come out feeling suppressed, oppressed and ultimately distressed. So true the only way out of it is through it. We must continue to talk about it, all of it.

Elizabeth Wahl said...

Dear T. Allen-Mercado, One of the reasons I write this blog is to express some of that very frustration I feel when I'm in a situation that makes me uncomfortable but I don't want to ruin things for others by expressing my feelings openly. It's a very hard balance to strike, but having this outlet is a great way for me to say what I really think without compromise.

Anonymous said...

now that's not the beth i've grown to know in love! because of stuff you taught me as a child i would have told her to shove it up her cunt (i choose to be more blunt). Then again, i took the little ones with me to vote so they could see the process in action.

nico is smart enough to know what's going on to an extent and i'd like to believe his classmates are as well, i know G and N sure are.